8.13.2009

Got crafts?

This post is about a week and a half overdue but, the weekend before last, my friend and I went to the CHA Craft SuperShow at our local convention center. Holy crafting madness! This show made me wish I had a clone so one of me could go to work to support the other me's craft addiction. A good number of booths were devoted to scrapbooking and paper crafts. I haven't done too much paper crafting besides a few basic Christmas cards, but I really admire the craft and I'd love to get into it. It was amazing to see so many beautiful, creative ideas. (Sorry for the bad photos; I only had my phone with me.)



My mouth was watering over the vintage stamps, images, and accessories. I heart vintage and these postcard kit project samples they had on display were absolutely gorgeous.

We stopped by the Little Windows booth, and that was where we both fell hard.

These little resin gems were soo cool! They could be used for necklaces, bracelets, magnets, and all kinds of gifts. There were a hundred ways to style them, using photos, postcards, stamps, beads and anything else you can fit. I had to have it. The way I saw it was, I was really saving money on Christmas presents by buying this stuff. Really! Ok, so maybe I just couldn't resist. It was so. cool. I promise I'll post when I finish making my own.

There were make-and-takes all day, some free, others for $3 or $5. There were so many choices, it was tough to decide which one we wanted to do. This one happened to be free, and actually a pretty cool little project:

A while ago I picked up a free project booklet from Michael's, but I haven't made anything from it yet and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this. There a lot more project ideas on the Styrofoam website that are easy and relatively inexpensive, which might be a great idea for anyone who happens to have vast amounts of empty wall space. Ahem. I know this sounds totally contra-green movement and, if I had any actual readers, I'm sure many of them would be throwing up in their mouths a little. At least the website devotes a section to sustainablity (stop choking), so I can pretend I didn't just declare myself an enemy of the state.

These are the instructions for the bird that we made, using an enlarged version of a stamp to create the silhouette. I bet it would be cute to use a silhouette of your kids, too. Or leaves. Or letters. Or... somebody stop me...
The bird can be mounted back in the "frame" for a 3D piece or the pieces can hung on the wall separately, which also looks very cool.


Bird Silhouette Wall Art
by Dondi Richardson

Materials:

  • Styrofoam Brand Foam 1" x 12" x 12" sheet (or cut 1" x 12" x 36" sheet into thirds)
  • Styro Cutter® Plus (If you don't have a Styro Cutter® Plus, there are tips on cutting and more)
  • Coordinating scrapbook papers from COLORBOK
  • Craft Glue
  • Bird Silhouette Rubber Stamp and Black Ink
  • 1" Ribbon or 1" strips of paper
  • Metal picture hangers
  • Scissors
  • Poster board
Instructions:
  1. Rubber stamp the image onto a piece of paper. Have image enlarged to fit centered inside the 12"x12" sheet of Styrofoam. You want at least a 1" frame around the image.
  2. Once you have the image enlarged, trace onto a piece of poster board and cut out to create a template. Pin the template centered onto the Styrofoam sheet and cut out using the Styro Cutter® Plus. Follow the instructions on package carefully for proper use of the tool! Be careful when cutting bird image from foam as you can use the cutout bird as a separate wall art piece. Cut in from one edge of the foam, cut all the way around the tamplate and then exit carefully from the same edge you entered. The paper will cover the cut edge. Glue the cut edge together.
  3. Lay the cutout bird onto a sheet of paper, trace and cut out with scissors. Glue paper to cover the cutout bird. Lay the 12" x 12" framed bird silhouette onto a coordinating sheet of paper, trace and cut out silhouette with scissors, carefully cutting in from one edge of the paper. Glue the paper to cover the frame.
  4. To cover the 1" edge of the Styrofoam, glue 1" ribbon or cut 1" strips of coordinating paper and glue to cover edge.
  5. Attach picture hangers to the back of the Styrofoam pieces and secure with glue.

No comments: