9.17.2009

Mantel Envy

The frenzied decorating season is right around the corner and I'm starting to have mild anxiety about not having a mantel to dress up. See, when we got our new TV last year, it wouldn't fit in our old entertainment center, which used to serve as my faux mantle. We needed someplace to put the TV, so we bought just the TV stand part of an expandable wall system and planned to purchase the side towers and bridge for the top later on. I'll spare the boring technicalities and just say that we have yet to purchase the side towers and bridge for the top.


Meanwhile, enter Ballard Designs and this beauty:
It was love at first sight. I want it so badly I can't honestly judge whether it even goes with the rest of my furniture. It's perfect for me. Plenty of storage, not bulky, built in room to decorate...and it might even go with my stuff? Perfect. But um, it's $1800. On sale. Plus shipping, plus...err...delivery fee? I would hope that when I pay for shipping, yes, the delivery guy will... DELIVER it. But regardless, there's no way I can spend that much on one piece of furniture.
So until I solve my mantel-less-ness, I'll have to live vicariously through other people's pretty Autumn mantel displays. {sigh}


This is from an old issue of Southern Living's Cooking School magazine. I LOVE grape vine. And twinkle lights.


Mmmm leaves...
{Photo: stormybayou}
{Photo: saucydragonfly}

I've always had a thing for gourds. I could never have enough of these.
{Photo: melsky}


Not too early for a little taste of Halloween, is it?
Classy and festive. Love all that mercury glass.
{Photo: providencehandmade}
How sweet are these signs, and that banner is adorable.
{Photo: jeanetta darley}
Classic black, simple and bold.  And I'm thinking it may be my turn to steal borrow the B-O-O idea. :)
{Photo: melissann}

This is so pretty for thanksgiving. I love the wheat bundles.
{Photo: thefeltmouse}
Last year we bought a wheat bundle at Publix and the poor cashier girls were stumped. They didn't know what it was or where it came from. While they were trying to determine how much to charge for it, they said "It's not real, is it?" I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that.  Real as in, am I going home to make bread out of it??


Now, tell me this baby isn't ready to get all dressed up with pretty pumpkins and leaves.  If only it would come home to me.

No comments: